Monday, August 29, 2011

The Search for the Perfect Eclair Continues

Lately, I have had an obsession  for the perfect eclair. It has to be completely and ridiculously oversized. It has to be BRIMMING with cream and the frosting must be perfect. Not too sweet. Not too little. It has to be chocolate and not that stupid powdered sugar crap. I assumed to get this fix for my sweet tooth that it should be relatively simple. Or not.

Josh has indulged this quest for calories with me and together we have attempted 3 various bakeries. The first was just our local Weis. That sounds pretty lame and unfortunately it was. I was devastated. The eclair looked promising, but for 59 cents, you get what you pay for. Not to be discouraged, I remembered grand tales of Vicarros in Little Italy having the best Eclair. Therefore, Josh and James and I drove down to Vicarros on a mission to by an eclair. And a triple layer choclate cake. And coffee. I must say though, I was disspointed again! The eclair was certainly in the size range of a small whale, which was definitely promising. The frosting was thick and chocolately, but the shell tasted stale and the icing had some sort of liquor in it that gave it an off taste.
Not to be outdone, I went to Geresbecks Bakery. This is an old  bakery in a retro grocery store in a random part of town. Again, Josh and James joined me on my hunt for an eclair  of perfection. On the way, my dad who had gotten wind of my mission ordered two to go. I was getting excited.

I was not dissapointed. The price was $3.99, but the eclair was massive. The cream was so thick, it was not possible to bite into it. The chocolate  did not taste like Happy Hour. All good signs! I must say, so far Geresbecks is in the lead!


No comments:

Post a Comment